Free activities, tours and shows across the City on Sept. 26 and 27
As one of the most multicultural mid-sized cities in the country, Vaughan residents have a lot to celebrate during Culture Days, held during the weekend of Sept. 26 and 27. More than 50 free interactive activities are scheduled across the City, conveniently organized into west (Kleinburg and Woodbridge), central (Maple) and east (Concord and Thornhill) hubs.
It’s a weekend of painting, cooking, singing and salsa dancing demonstrations, plus live music, improv, arts and crafts, Caribbean food tasting and an organic farmers’ market. A few local landmarks are offering a peek behind the scenes: gallery tours at the McMichael Canadian Art Collection; nature hikes through the Kortright Centre for Conservation; and wine tasting at Magnotta Winery, Brewery & Distillery. Other highlights include:
- A Rag & Bone Puppet Theatre production: Watch The Last Polar Bears – a family friendly puppet show about a grandfather’s unlikely trip to the Arctic with Roo, his opinionated dog – live on the City Playhouse Theatre stage. For ticket information visit vaughan.ca/CityPlayhouse.
- The Healthy Italian Cooking Demo: Sample the delicious dishes of Vaughan’s own Healthy Italian chef (and award-winning writer and editor) Fina Scroppo, during a live cooking at the J.E.H. McDonald House.
- Zentangle and Colour Therapy: Try the latest in adult leisure: colouring! Create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns using the relaxing and easy-to-learn Zentangle Method.
- Facing Movember Photography Exhibit: View how Vaughan artists interpret the iconic moustache (and beard) in a photo exhibition dedicated to creating awareness of the global Movember Movement at Vaughan City Hall On the Slate Gallery.
- Bodyworx Vitality: Get energized during yoga, stretching and creative movement workshops. Bonus: nutritionists and instructors will provide on-site health and wellness consultations.
Activities will be held at various dates, times and locations. For details, refer to the 2015 Vaughan Culture days brochure, available at Vaughan community centres, City Hall and vaughan.ca/CultureDays.
Culture Days is a provincial and national celebration aimed to create access, awareness, excitement and participation in arts and culture within local communities. For more information, contact Mirella Tersigni, cultural and community development co-ordinator, at 905-832-8585, ext. 8459 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit the City of Vaughan’s website at vaughan.ca.