The main role of the City Archives is to manage government records with long-term business value. The City of Vaughan Archives also collects, preserves and makes available for research permanently valuable non-government records from the Vaughan community that document the rich and diverse heritage of the City of Vaughan. Every month we’ll share pieces of Vaughan’s heritage in a regular feature called The Way We Were.
To view more from the City’s archival collections, visit the City of Vaughan’s Facebook page.
Image of the month: Woodbridge Postmasters Robert Tucker and Hannah Wallace, ca. 1870s
Woodbridge’s first post office opened on April 1st, 1855 and was located west of the present Woodbridge Library. Following a relocation of the Post Office in 1883 to the Robert T. Wallace Grocery Store, Robert became postmaster from April 1st, 1883 to April 4th, 1893. Following his death in 1893, his wife Hannah assumed the role of postmistress from April 5th, 1893 to October 2nd, 1902.
Collection of the month: Cameron Family Fonds
Arriving in Vaughan Township in 1824, the Cameron family have been longstanding members of the community, and one of the earliest families to call the Vellore area home. Settling on Lot 30, Concession 5 (southwest of present day Jane Street and Kirby Road), and Lot 17, Concession 6 (north of present day Rutherford Road and Pine Valley), the family established the very successful Cameron Road Cart Company, and were major shareholders in the Union Telephone Company in Vaughan. The Cameron Family fonds spans the years 1842-1991 and consists of textual records, photographs, drawings and publications relating to the family and their business associations.
Archival Records Analyst
City of Vaughan Archives
City Clerk’s Office
Visit the City of Vaughan’s website at vaughan.ca.