The Way We Were: Archives Collection and Image of the Month Series

The main role of the City Archives is to manage government records with long-term business value. The City of Vaughan Archives also collects, preserves and makes available for research permanently valuable non-government records from the Vaughan community that document the rich and diverse heritage of the City of Vaughan. Every month we’ll share pieces of Vaughan’s heritage in a regular feature called The Way We Were.

To view more from the City’s archival collections, visit the City of Vaughan’s Facebook page.


Image of the month: Flour and Feed Always on Hand: The Wallace Brothers General Store, ca. 1900

Established in 1867, the Wallace Brothers General Store and Dominion Exchange was one of the earliest county stores to exist in Woodbridge. Located at the southeast corner of Pine (Woodbridge Avenue) and Wallace Streets, this general store was built by Nathaniel Wallace for his two sons, Thomas Frazier and Nathaniel Clarke. Over the years, the store progressed to sell mainly grocery items, until the business moved in 1947. The original building is still located at 167 Woodbridge Ave. today, and is now home to Henderson’s Woodbridge Medical Pharmacy.

Collection of the Month: McClure Family Fonds

As one of the first families to settle in the Elder’s Mills area, the McClure family have been longstanding members of the Vaughan community. Immigrating to Canada in 1833 from Ireland, Andrew McClure was the first of his family to settle in Vaughan, purchasing land on Lots 14 and 15 in Concession 8 (southeast of Rutherford Road and Highway 27 today). Eventually marrying Mary Ann Hamilton in 1836, the McClures quickly grew their family, having nine children in just over a decade and a half. As a farming family, a few of the original McClure children continued to farm the family land and descendants even purchased the west half of Lot 13 for additional farming. Descendants of the McClure family continue to reside in Vaughan today. The McClure Family fonds spans the years 1886-2002 and consist of textual records, photographs, photographic negatives, a scrapbook and a genealogical book titled The Clan McClure.
  • |
  • Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *