The main role of the City Archives is to manage government records with long-term business value. The City of Vaughan Archives also collects, preserves and makes available for research permanently valuable non-government records from the Vaughan community that document the rich and diverse heritage of the City of Vaughan. Every month we’ll share pieces of Vaughan’s heritage in a regular feature called The Way We Were.
To view more from the City’s archival collections, visit the City of Vaughan’s Facebook page.
Image of the month: On the Move! Mennonite Church Moves to Black Creek Pioneer Village, 1978
This image captures the move of the Mennonite Church and Meeting House to Black Creek Pioneer Village in 1976. Originally located at Jane Street and Hwy 7 in Edgeley, this 1824 log structure is one of the oldest meeting homes in existence in Ontario. Transported to Black Creek Pioneer Village on October 15, 1976, this house is one of several Vaughan historic structures that have been restored and moved to Black Creek.
Collection of the month: Vaughan Township official documents collection
The Vaughan Township official documents collection is a small treasure trove of 33 documents consisting of Deeds of Land, Indentures, Agreements of Tenancy, Land Claims, and Lands for Bargain and Sale from some of Vaughan’s earliest settlers. Spanning the years 1809-1910, these records were collected by the City of Vaughan for their genealogical, historic and aesthetic value, and include documents from the Baldry, Oliver, Brillinger, Moody, Noble and Newbigging families.